Commercial pilots (someone who typically works for an airline to ensure that flight operations are conducted in a safe and efficient manner) are not only in demand right now, but they can also expect to see both high growth over the course of their career as well as an increase in available jobs in the coming years. In fact, The Bureau of Labor Statistics projects a 13% increase in available jobs from 2020–2030, which is faster than the average. And in addition, there are certain skills than can increase your earnings even more. According to PayScale, these are top four skills that will give your pilot salary the biggest boost!
- Average pay for a pilot with avionics skills: $132,453/year
- 58% boost*
- Average pay for a pilot with leadership skills: $112,000/year
- 33% boost*
- Average pay for a pilot with commercial skills: $87,679/year
- 4% boost*
4. Safety compliance
- Average pay for a pilot with safety compliance power skills: $85,945/year
- 2% boost*
Pilot fast facts
- In addition to the base commercial pilot salary, you could also earn an additional bonus that ranges from $176–$24,000, according to PayScale.
- Due to the scope of the work, pilots are in-demand year-round.
- Surveyed commercial pilots were, on average, “highly satisfied” with their job.