An HVAC technician (someone who works on heating, ventilation, and air conditioning systems) can expect to see both high growth over the course of their career as well as an increase in available jobs — in fact, The Bureau of Labor Statistics projects a 4% increase in available HVAC jobs from 2019–2029. But in this field you’re not limited to only one career path with one projected salary, and with the addition of certain skills, you can increase your pay even more. According to PayScale, these are the top five skills that will give your salary as an HVAC technician the biggest boost!
1. Programmable logic controllers (PLC)/automation
- Average pay for HVAC technician with programmable logic controllers (PLC /automation skills: $31.86/hour
- 59% boost*
2. Project management
- Average pay for HVAC technician with project management skills: $26/hour
- 30% boost*
- Average pay for HVAC technician with sales skills: $24.77/hour
- 24% boost*
4. Geothermal energy/geothermal power
- Average pay for HVAC technician with geothermal energy/geothermal power skills: $22.23/hour
- 12% boost*
- Average pay for HVAC technician with commercial skills: $21.83/hour
- 9% boost*
HVAC Technician fast facts
- In addition to the base salary, you could also earn an additional bonus that ranges from $242–$5,000, according to PayScale.
- Due to the scope of the work, HVAC technicians are in-demand year-round.
- Surveyed HVAC technicians were, on average, “highly satisfied” with their job.
- HVAC training can take between six month and two years, depending on whether you’re receiving a certificate or an associate’s degree.
- You may also go through an apprenticeship, which typically lasts between three and five years.