A medical assistant can expect high career prospects in the coming years. In fact, The Bureau of Labor Statistics projects an 18% increase in available jobs from 2020 to 2030 — much faster than average. In addition, this job can open doors to several different career paths in the medical field, and the addition of certain skills can help you along the way while increasing your pay even more. According to PayScale, these are the top six skills that will give your medical assistant salary the biggest boost!
- Average pay for a medical assistant with leadership skills: $20.07/hour
- 28% boost*
- Average pay for a medical assistant with Medicare skills: $19.12/hour
- 22% boost*
3. In Vitro Fertilization (IVF)
- Average pay for a medical assistant with IVF skills: $18.49/hour
- 18% boost*
4. Office Management
- Average pay for a medical assistant with office management skills: $18.08/hour
- 15% boost*
- Average pay for a medical assistant with Sqribe skills: $17.79/hour
- 14% boost*
- Average pay for a medical assistant with bariatric skills: $17.82/hour
- 14% boost*
Medical Assistant fast facts
- In addition to the base medical assistant salary, you could also earn an additional bonus of up to $2,000, according to PayScale.
- Surveyed medical assistants were, on average, “highly satisfied” with their job.
- Medical assistant training takes on average seven months to complete, and does not require a degree.